We are hiring a Senior Battery Storage Development Manager for a client with 11.7 GW (operational, under construction, ready to build, under development) of renewable energy projects and storage across North America, Europe and Latin America.
The Storage Manager will take charge of storage development in pivotal markets, reporting directly to the VP of US Development. The candidate will leverage their experience and acumen to identify greenfield storage opportunities, evaluate risks and possibilities, assess the quality of work carried out by collaborative developers, and guide the company in effectively managing the associated project and pipeline risks and opportunities.
You will lead the development of storage projects, confidently representing the battery storage growth interests among various stakeholders, and proactively advocating for our interests. A substantial network of connections within the storage development and electricity industry in the U.S. is expected.
The ideal candidate must be well-versed in all aspects of utility-scale storage project development, including both stand-alone storage and solar plus storage. During the development phase, collaboration with in-house and external teams will ensure projects secure the necessary real estate rights, permits, authorizations, and licenses to attain Ready to Build ("RTB") status, adhering to timelines and budgets. A part of the role will also encompass managing the timing alignment between project RTB and Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs) for assets.
- Lead storage development, from greenfield or project acquisition to RTB, involves engagement with local authorities, landowners, communities, joint developers, transmission authorities, and third-party service providers.
- Drive data-driven site identification efforts.
- Monitor project development status, liaising with joint developers to facilitate on-time project delivery to RTB stage.
- Oversee project development schedule, budget, and payment processes.
- Manage project inputs for reporting and financial models.
- Handle project risks and opportunities.
- Cultivate relationships with project stakeholders, including landlords, communities, local officials, and others, while managing public relations in connection to projects.
- Provide support to other departments, such as finance and operations, during the development phase.
- Ensure a seamless transition of development activities to the operations department.
- Contribute to implementing ESG policy at the local level in compliance with modern standards, regulations, and industry best practices. Promptly identify and address any ESG concerns, gather relevant information, and interact with stakeholders as instructed.
- Uphold the highest standards of compliance with regard to anti-corruption practices across all stakeholder interactions.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in a relevant field; MBA or MS preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in the energy industry, encompassing project development, project management, and other commercial roles.
- Proficiency in developing storage projects, spanning greenfield sitting through RTB, as well as storage project acquisition.
- Comprehensive grasp of the development process for storage projects across diverse regions in the U.S.
- Proven experience collaborating with all stakeholders engaged in storage projects.
- Strong decision-making aptitude, especially in uncertain situations.
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial, organizational, analytical, and interpersonal skills.
- Effective communication skills, capable of engaging in technical discussions across diverse cultural contexts.
- Established track record and competency in analytical, financial, and research tasks, including proficiency with financial models, storage analytics, and all facets of development due diligence associated with projects.
- Comfortable participating in lobbying events at both national and local levels, interfacing with political and civil service domains.
- Strong industry connections with major generators, developers, and transmission providers.
- Ability to excel within an organizational structure, collaborating within cross-functional teams to achieve objectives and concurrently manage multiple projects and development relationships with minimal oversight.