About the client
The company is a national solar energy project developer and financial services provider. With a diverse clientele, investor base, and partners, the company has been involved in over $2 billion worth of solar energy asset financing and development to date. Recognized as a prominent player in renewable energy, the company's focus extends to promoting sustainable infrastructure by enabling entrepreneurs to create a meaningful global impact.
Our client is in search of a Senior Director for the Utility-Scale Development division. The chosen candidate will spearhead and oversee the progression of projects from early to late stages of development. This role will involve managing a project team, which includes a real estate manager, permitting manager, engineering professionals, preconstruction experts, and project finance specialists. The objective is to navigate solar projects through the entire development process up to the construction notice-to-proceed stage. This position is pivotal as a source of adept project management and development knowledge.
- Oversight of multiple projects in early, middle, and late stages of development, encompassing all tasks required to reach the point of Notice to Proceed (NTP) and financial closure/sale. This includes tasks such as site acquisition, real estate formalities, environmental and local permitting, pertinent site research, tax abatement negotiations, community engagement, and coordination of interconnection procedures.
- Supervision of both internal and third-party project development teams, ensuring the fulfillment of the aforementioned development tasks.
- Collaboration with technical, engineering, finance, and asset management teams in relation to the outlined development activities.
- Cooperation across teams to assess project development risks and valuation presumptions.
- Assistance to the greenfielding department by contributing insights derived from personal development experience.
- Oversight of project schedules, budgets, and inputs to the financial model. Adapting and communicating changes in project finances as development progresses.
- Establishment and enhancement of processes, workflow protocols, and risk assessment procedures, inclusive of approved risk tolerance metrics for utility scale projects in diverse development stages.
- Collaboration with the M&A team, which evaluates potential project sellers, initiates initial project screenings, and engages in MIPA negotiations. This role includes managing project due diligence.
- Proficiency in MS Project or equivalent tools like Smartsheet, as well as budgeting using MS Excel or comparable software. Familiarity with Smartsheet, Green IT, or Salesforce is a plus.
- Extensive hands-on experience in utility-scale solar project development across the entire lifecycle, encompassing tasks such as site acquisition, real estate processes, environmental and local permitting, tax abatement negotiations, site studies, and interconnection coordination.
- Proven track record of managing such development projects and teams, including the oversight of in-house and third-party subject matter experts.
- Well-established network of third-party development specialists, including those in real estate, permitting, environmental studies, and interconnection.
- In-depth understanding of development studies, real estate operations, environmental and local permitting procedures, as well as interconnection processes and their influence on development.
- Bachelor's degree from a four-year college.
- Availability for travel as needed to facilitate development activities.
Washington DC/Baltimore OR Remote
$175-$230k base plus bonus