As an Environmental Permitting Manager, you will play a pivotal role in the responsible development of utility-scale wind, solar, and battery energy storage projects across California, New York, and Texas. This position places a strong emphasis on environmental planning and permitting for large-scale solar and battery energy storage initiatives in Kern County and Kings County during the Development phase.
In this role, you will collaborate closely with The Company's Environmental Permitting Directors and work in coordination with internal teams including development, engineering, and construction management. You will also engage with external entities such as environmental consultants and legal advisors. Additionally, you may participate in permitting activities involving state and federal resource agencies, as well as conservation organizations.
The role demands the ability to follow directions and efficiently manage multiple tasks in various stages of project development. This position is remote, with necessary travel to project sites within Kern County and Kings County. Candidates located in Bakersfield, CA with permitting experience under CEQA will be given preference.
- Manage multiple projects, tasks, and deadlines in the Development phase.
- Plan, schedule, and manage project resources.
- Maintain organized project records and documentation.
- Coordinate with environmental survey consultants, reviewing proposals, scheduling survey timelines, and ensuring compliance with resource agency requirements.
- Review technical reports including environmental screenings, habitat evaluations, biological surveys, wetland delineations, and other relevant analyses.
- Collaborate with development and engineering teams to ensure project design aligns with commitments and requirements.
- Efficiently work with internal and external stakeholders to execute project work and address environmental-related challenges.
- Coordinate with local, state, and federal agencies when necessary.
- Demonstrate knowledge of environmental policy, regulations, and compliance affecting project permitting and siting.
- Support environmental due diligence for development and acquisition opportunities.
- Adhere to safe work practices and uphold a culture of compliance in line with company policies and ethical standards.
Skills & Qualifications:
- 3+ years in renewable energy permitting, or 6-8+ years in a related industry with comparable responsibilities.
- Familiarity with key environmental impact assessment matters under CEQA and within the California energy sector (knowledge of New York and Texas is advantageous).
- Strong attention to detail, effective teamwork, and positive interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to attend meetings, hearings, and project check-ins with Kern and Kings County Planning Departments.
- Preference for candidates familiar with Kern County and Kings County planning departments and renewable energy permitting procedures.
- Familiarity with federal and state environmental laws (ESA, NEPA/CEQA, FEMA, CWA, etc.), guidelines, and policies, and developing strategies for renewable compliance.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced business environment with multiple deadlines, and rapidly adopt internal processes.
- Preference for residents of Bakersfield, California, and Southern California. Experience in Texas and New York is a plus.
Associates, Bachelor's Degree, or equivalent experience.
Degree in natural resources/environmental policy or planning (preferred).
Feel free to let me know if there are any specific adjustments you'd like to make or if you have any further instructions!