The company is a leading developer, owner, and operator of utility-scale energy storage projects across North America. At the forefront of the fast-growing battery energy storage market, our projects play a crucial role in transitioning the nation’s electric grid to a cleaner and more reliable future. The company, independently owned, is among the largest players in the US energy storage sector.
Headquartered in Newport Beach, California, with employees in multiple regions across the U.S., the company boasts a diverse management team with decades of experience in the renewable energy, utility, and independent power sectors.
The company seeks motivated and energetic candidates to join as a Project Manager. In this role, you will support the development and execution of several sequential utility-scale battery energy storage projects from late-stage development through commissioning. Reporting to the company’s Sr Director of Projects, you will collaborate closely with the Project Developer during development and ensure a seamless handoff to the project team in late-stage development. Throughout project execution, you will oversee project design, permitting, contractor and vendor selection, and all construction and commissioning activities, culminating in turnover to Asset Management (Operations).
- Overall responsibility for the project schedule and budget.
- Manage engineering consultants during project development, permitting, pre-construction, and construction.
- Support project objectives by reviewing and approving project engineering proposals and design documents during pre-construction and construction.
- Maintain engineering issues log, RFI log, and submittal log during project execution.
- Prepare and manage the overall project schedule, tracking major project milestones and reporting weekly on schedule variances.
- Prepare bid documents for contractor and subcontractor selection, including scopes of work and work schedules.
- Facilitate project meetings, maintain meeting minutes, and prepare project status reports on a weekly and monthly basis.
- Ensure project design compliance with federal, state, and local regulations.
- Prepare the initial project budget and monitor budget variances during project execution.
- Maintain a risk register to identify and communicate key risks throughout project execution.
- Track performance and analyze the completion of key goals during project execution.
- Verify that project execution during construction aligns with all IFC design drawings.
- Assist third-party/IE partners in confirming project performance through site visits and overseeing tests.
- Document control, including management of all project contracts and consulting agreements, IFC, and Redlined design documents.
- Support final inspections and punch list process with contractors, vendors, independent engineers, and management.
- Collaborate with the HSE team in developing and executing a site-specific safety program and activities.
- Monitor and review trade partner work plans and activities for safety concerns.
- Participate in and contribute to project planning and hazard analysis.
- Maintain a safe and clean working environment by enforcing procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Maintain operational knowledge of construction safety, OSHA, ANSI, NFPA, and other applicable standards, regulations, laws, and procedures.
- Serve as a resource for safety issues or concerns for all project team members.
Skills and Qualifications:
- 10 years of project management experience in power delivery, substation, transmission line, interconnect, renewable energy, or energy storage preferred.
- Familiarity with applicable standards including IBC, NFPA 855, CEC, CFC, IEEE, NEMA, NEC, OSHA, and UL.
- Familiarity with battery energy storage design and construction preferred.
- PMP certification is a plus.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel, Primavera, Microsoft Project, and Smartsheets.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, including an ability to maintain calm and effective exchanges by all parties during stressful situations, and executive level reporting that ensures timely action and decision making in time-pressured scenarios.