Our client stands out as a prominent developer, proprietor, and operator of large-scale energy storage initiatives throughout North America. Positioned at the forefront of the rapidly expanding battery energy storage market, our projects play a pivotal role in ushering in a cleaner and more dependable future for the nation's electric grid. Offering essential services such as reliable fast-ramping capacity, energy supply, and ancillary grid services, including support for integrating renewable energy, our storage projects serve major utilities.
As an independently owned entity, our client is a key player in the U.S. energy storage sector, boasting a robust 15+ gigawatt-hour (GWh) pipeline. This encompasses approximately 1.7 GWh of projects either in operation, under construction, or in advanced development through contracts with utilities and other power purchasers. Headquartered in California, our client maintains a presence with dedicated employees across various regions in the United States. Our diverse management team brings together decades of expertise in renewable energy, utilities, and the independent power sectors.
Our client is seeking dynamic and motivated candidates to join our team as a Project Manager, supporting the development and execution of various sequential utility-scale battery energy storage projects from late-stage development through commissioning. Reporting to the company's Senior Director of Projects, the Project Manager will collaborate closely with the Project Developer during development, ensuring a smooth handover to the project team in late-stage development. Throughout project execution, responsibilities include managing project design, permitting, contractor and vendor selection, contracting, construction, and commissioning activities, ultimately ensuring on-time and on-budget project delivery. The Project Manager will collaborate with the project team, including the Project Engineer and Construction Manager, during project execution.
- Oversee project schedule and budget.
- Manage engineering consultants and support the engineering team during project development, permitting, pre-construction, and construction.
- Support project objectives by reviewing and approving project engineering proposals and design documents.
- Prepare and manage the overall project schedule, tracking major milestones and reporting on schedule variances.
- Prepare bid documents for contractor and subcontractor selection, including scopes of work and schedules.
- Facilitate project meetings, maintain meeting minutes, and prepare project status reports.
- Ensure project design compliance with regulations and secure necessary permits.
- Prepare and manage the project budget, including regular updates on budget variances.
- Maintain a risk register to identify and communicate key risks throughout project execution.
- Track performance and analyze completion of key goals during project execution.
- Verify that project execution during construction aligns with IFC design drawings.
- Assist third-party/IE partners in confirming project performance through site visits and overseeing tests.
- Manage all project contracts and consulting agreements, IFC and Redlined the company's design documents, manufacturer and as-built drawings.
- Support final inspections and punch list process.
- Collaborate with the HSE team in developing and executing site-specific safety programs and activities.
- Monitor and review trade partner work plans and activities for safety concerns.
- Participate in and contribute to project planning and hazard analysis.
- Maintain knowledge of construction safety standards, OSHA, ANSI, NFPA, and other applicable regulations.
- Serve as a resource for safety issues or concerns for all project team members.
Skills and Qualifications
- 10 years of project management experience in power delivery, substation, transmission line, interconnect, renewable energy, or energy storage preferred.
- Familiarity with applicable standards, including IBC, NFPA 855, CEC, CFC, IEEE, NEMA, NEC, OSHA, and UL.
- Familiarity with battery energy storage design and construction preferred.
- PMP certification a plus.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel, Primavera, Microsoft Project, and Smartsheets.
- Superior communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, including the ability to maintain calm and effective exchanges during stressful situations and executive-level reporting for timely decision-making in time-pressured scenarios.
$130-180k base plus bonus