Lead Sustainability Specialist (Remote)
Our client has almost 20 years of leading renewable energy development, with over 1.3 GW of wind, solar, and energy storage facilities in operation. Privately funded by a private-equity firm which raised over $13 billion in Energy Sub-sectors, with Acquisition of over $25 billion of Developed assets in total. With a global presence, investments include infrastructure companies in the UK, Europe, North America, Australia and New Zealand.
The Corporate Sustainability Lead will play a vital role in advancing our client’s commitment to responsible sourcing and operations. This role encompasses the development, implementation, oversight, and reporting of sustainability programs, including anti-human slavery initiatives, the employee code of ethics, supplier code of conduct, and anonymous ethics reporting tools. The position involves deploying these programs through comprehensive training and communication efforts across all organizational levels, with a focus on monitoring their effective implementation. Collaboration with various business functions, including Asset Management, Procurement, Operations, and HSE, is essential.
- Collaborate on the development, implementation, and management of corporate sustainability programs and Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) reporting.
- Responsible Sourcing: Identify suitable certification and auditing protocols to ensure supply chain compliance with expectations and requirements in areas such as the Supplier Code of Conduct, Human Rights/Labor, Safety/Health, and Environment.
- Modern Day Slavery: Ensure the existence and adherence to policies and processes that facilitate relevant certifications.
- Supplier Code of Conduct: Develop and implement a new program across the supplier base, maintain certifications, and participate in audits.
- Compile reports and maintain certifications and records to ensure supply chain compliance with Human Rights/Labor, Safety/Health, Environment, and Business Ethics expectations.
- Act as a Subject Matter Expert for corporate sustainability programs and participate in meetings as required.
- Develop and deliver communications and training to team members regarding relevant statutes, policies, procedures, and best practices.
- Review programs and monitoring tools to ensure adequate and functional procedures are in place.
- Participate in or support internal audits and third-party company pre-qualification and due diligence audits.
- Lead the collection and maintenance of ESG-related data and information, including analysis and interpretation for report compilation (e.g., GHG emissions, ESG, sustainability data).
- Respond to stakeholder requests for ESG data or information.
- Track company activities and projects that support and enhance sustainability efforts.
- Identify emerging trends and changes in the global sustainability landscape and communicate them to the business when applicable.
Skills & Requirements:
- A minimum of 6 years of experience, with 1-2 years in corporate sustainability, preferably in a power generation environment.
- 1-2 years of compliance experience in a global setting, preferably within a manufacturing or industrial organization (energy experience is preferred).
- Strong understanding and passion for corporate sustainability.
- Highly professional and ethical team player committed to upholding the organization's values and safety culture.
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite, with intermediate Excel skills (e.g., formulas, pivot tables).
- Bachelor's degree in chemistry, engineering, environmental science, government, business, or a related field of study.
- Expertise in time management and multitasking, capable of managing multiple projects concurrently and meeting deadlines.