Our client is a leading hydroelectric power generation company based in the US. They specialize in the development, acquisition, and operation of hydroelectric power plants across the country. The company's mission is to provide clean, renewable energy to the communities they serve while maintaining a commitment to environmental stewardship. They offer a dynamic and innovative work environment with opportunities for professional growth and advancement in the renewable energy industry.
- Looking for a Director of Capital Planning to lead investment analysis and prioritization of capital projects.
- This is a new role within the company as the organization and fleet of operating projects has grown.
- The Director will work closely with Operations, Engineering, Project Management, and the broader Asset Management team to prioritize projects based on financial value-creation, risk, regulatory requirements, and reliability.
- The Director will also proactively evaluate asset condition with Operations and look forward to long-term major maintenance, unit replacement, lifecycle planning, and asset retirement or divestment for under-performing plants.
- The role requires a commercial perspective and is an ideal fit for a candidate with prior capital investment experience and a desire to help shape the future of the renewable energy industry.
- The Director of Capital Planning will be responsible for reviewing eligibility criteria across a Master Project List to review project value with and without incentives, including US Department of Energy (DOE) grants and Investment Tax Credits.
- Location: Bethesda, MD (outside Washington D.C.)
- 3+ of work experience in a relevant role, with 7+ years of overall professional experience
- Expertise in financial modeling and simple investment return metrics (NPV, IRR, payback period)
- Strong background in capital project work relevant to ECRE – mechanical, electrical and civil projects
- Previous professional work experience in the power sector and ideally hydropower
- Demonstrated ability to champion a clear vision for industry best practices and process optimization
- Ability to work with operations and technical experts to understand project impact, risks, timeline and alternatives and work with them to articulate a business case for specific projects
- Understanding of how to balance financial value-creation, risk, regulatory requirements, and reliability
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to interact with team members with diverse professional and personal backgrounds
- Ability to distill substantial detail into concise messages for presentation to senior management
- Strong time management skills and ability to meet deadlines
- Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail