Associate Legal Counsel
Our Client is a renewable energy platform that was founded by global alternative asset manager TPG through its impact investing platform. The business’ current portfolio comprises approximately 2.3 GW of operational, under construction, or near ready-to-build solar PV projects and a further 2.7 GW pipeline of renewable energy projects under development, across Europe, the US, and South America. Additionally, Our Client owns 9 GW of solar, wind, and BESS pipeline projects spread across these regions.
Reporting to the Head of Legal U.S., this position will be a key member of the U.S.-based team. You will be assisting the business in its day-to-day activities, monitoring compliance with contractual obligations of its U.S. affiliates, assisting in the ordinary corporate and administrative obligations of all Our Client group companies, liaising with external counsel, and supporting project M&A and financing transactions.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Participate in various commercial transactions, including real estate acquisition, option agreements, other site control documents, leases, permitting, M&A, financing (construction, tax equity, etc.) and equipment supply/procurement, construction (engineer, procure, and construct agreements), and operations.
- Monitoring and ensuring compliance with contractual obligations of all U.S. affiliate companies, drafting communications, and assisting the team with legal issues/questions, including reviewing agreements with developers for approval of conditions required prior to draw disbursement and developer payment.
- Assisting with maintenance and monitoring of legal obligations and corporate documentation for all U.S. business activities.
- Liaising with external counsel on the various transactions, including coordinating and supervising local counsel with the review of title commitments, title proformas, title policies, title exception documents, and surveys in connection with project development, finance, construction, and/or operation.
Skills & Qualifications:
- At least 2-3 years of relevant experience across the solar or renewable energy sector; real estate; corporate law, project financing (construction, tax equity, etc.); M&A and private equity / infrastructure investing; and commercial transactions.
- Excellent technical drafting skills, detail-oriented, and familiarity with the types of documents and practice areas covered by the role.
- A proactive, highly motivated self-starter with a commercial approach and "can do" attitude.
- A strong communicator with the ability to deal confidently and build relationships with colleagues, advisors, and investors.
- Experience instructing and managing external/local counsel. While close collaboration with external counsel is essential to this position, the successful candidate will be working directly alongside, and not merely managing or "outsourcing" legal functions to external counsel. The successful candidate is expected to understand the core issues, negotiation points, contracts, and risks.